One of the most asked question we get at Jeffries is
- Do you accept ‘…’? or,
- Can i put ‘….’ in my green bin?
It’s for good reason. It can be so confusing with different certifications, conflicting information and with green washing ever present with products claiming ”compostablility” or ”eco-friendly”.
We understand it can be confusing. That’s why we’ve tried to make it as simple as possible, as this really helps.
So what can go?
- ANY food scraps – including bones, chicken, seafood, eggs, coffee grinds
- ANY plants, herbs or weeds
- Animal poo – without bag (unless it is a compostable bag)
- Teabags (remove metal staples)
- Paper towels, serviettes, tissues, paper bags & newspapers
- Any cardboard which isn’t lined or laminated (pizzaboxes, cardboard packaging and egg cartons)
- Bioplastics Certified compostable to AUS – AS 4736, (European) EN 13432 or US D6400 D6868 (Biopak compostable wares, BioBag compostable liners)
Look for these symbols!
- Products that are 100% paper, cardboard, bamboo, wood or rye straw with no lining or additives (e.g. 100% bamboo cutlery, 100% plain cardboard food trays, Mister Rye Straws)
- Non-treated wood, timber and saw dust.